May 21, 2021

[Other] And now for something entirely different...

I rarely add new games to my collection. At least, compared to what you could (or would) expect from someone who sinks an ungodly amount of hours in video games.

As I grew up with a Nintendo 64 during my childhood in Japan, console gaming became pretty much my only way of life when it comes to playing video games. As time went on, newer Nintendo consoles came out, and so did my budget to spend in games - in other words, the ability to own (read: buy) more games.

This natural growth in life eventually collapsed upon itself, as my Wii library at the time, grew out of hand. Gaming as a hobby became too expensive - I couldn't necessarily keep up with "the next big release".

Initially my plan was to retire from console gaming, so that I could focus my future efforts towards becoming a LEGO® Product Designer. However, through the continuous support from the people around me, I was shown by them that it is possible to have both in life. It's not about how many games I own; it's about which ones that matters the most.

That perspective allowed me to pick up console gaming again, without the need to keep up with whatever's the next "big thing". Instead, I followed my own desire on the most fundamental way possible: by asking myself how much a game interests me, and how much I want to play that one.

By simply being sincere and thoughtful, the choices of what games I end up with are more specific and tailored to my preferences, and as a result, they are far more likely to be loved. Yes, my game collection will probably remain small because of that, but at the same time, each individual purchase ends up feeling more worthwhile and/or special. By the end of the day, isn't that kind of fulfillment what should matter the most as a hobbyist?

Anyway, about the actual game itself: Hyper Light Drifter is an indie game that's been brought to my attention when it came out on Steam. While it's been recommended to me several times, I never got to purchase it on PC. I just don't get the same immersion for games when I play it either digitally or behind my computer screen with a keyboard and mouse. Nothing beats that archaic experience of inserting a game into a console, picking up a controller and playing it on a TV. It's that "gamey" feeling that made me love playing video games, and it's a feeling I desire to keep afloat.

Expect a certain shark blogpost next month, or in July. Now, where is that physical release of Cyber Shadow...

No comments:

Post a Comment