March 16, 2013

[Lego] Lego® Digital Designer - Doodles

Hi guys! You might have noticed I haven't really posted a lot of Lego® Digital Designer (LDD) projects, though people might have read the mention on my Steam profile.

Well, today I'm going to show you three "doodles" I made. A doodle is a somewhat fast-phased rough sketch, in this context, a quick built Lego® model.




First of all, one of my somewhat larger projects in LDD, which I made about one year ago. It's a design of a building, inspired by the Central Station in Antwerpen, Belgium. Modelizing this doodle took a small 8 hours. The major issue about doodling this design was angling the towers in the model. In real-life, we can make fast use of hinges bricks, however in LDD, you have to work in degrees. I had to calculate roughly the degrees of the hinges to form the work you see on the screenshot.

Second, a sphere made out of Lego® bricks. You don't have to make various complex buildings to really prove your skills, some basics can be hard as well. The basic geometric shapes, brick-built, can be tricky to design. It's just up to what your standards are (Hinge bricks? Pre-made shapes? Plates & round tiles? Etc.). I prefer to take a somewhat more challenge than placing a pre-made sphere on my desk.

Last but not least, something I just finished. I have an interest in Japanese architecture. Maybe because I used to live in Japan and I grew up in Tokyo... I had this idea of making a roof out of gear racks for months, tried designing a few houses with gear racks, with success, but I wanted to make a roof out of gear racks with more depth. So, with certain new parts that has been released this year (like in certain Galaxy Squad sets), I finally could make a more decent roof. To be honest, I have never seen anyone use gear racks in roofs before. That's just because every Lego® designer has it's own signature. You can't compare designers with each other. Ask a few people to design a house or a car in Lego® bricks: everyone will make something really different (and that makes me smile).

Well, that's it for now guys. I'll see you again next post, and have a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment