February 13, 2021

[Lego] So, I just got this Sealed Box of #8002...


Behold, one of the most complicated LEGO® sets of all time! At least, that is the general consensus about this model.

As with most sets I blog about, this is one of those "wanted it back then" and has been sitting comfortably among my most wanted sets of all time. Had plenty of opportunities to purchase one on Bricklink over the past couple of years, but I decided to go for it "last year". Unfortunately as I mentioned back then, there were no reasonably priced copies for a sealed condition. That changed earlier this week. Yoink!

So, what's so interesting about this set? It basically is a contraption that heavily relies on gravity and rubber bands to deploy several mechanisms in a sequence when it rolls over a hard surface. Long story short: fold up ball, roll it over the floor, it then opens up. It's nothing short of impressive; it's a mechanical wonder. It's over-engineered to hell, and for it's madness and ambition it has gained its reputation. Those kind of pursuits in life will always catch my interest.

I'm very curious to see which production run this is going to be, given that this is one of those exceptional cases where having the early production runs is not beneficial for the model's functionality... I guess I'll know in a moment.

Let's hope that those damn Flex Cables survived the past 21 years, and that I won't break them this time.

EDIT: It seems this one is the original #4132567 release with the #4133085 Amendment sheet. The Flex Cables have survived the build. The set also comes with a lifetime supply of spare rubber bands! Hooray!

That's it for today - I'll see you guys again next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment