August 27, 2020

[Lego] Work in Progress: Hailfire Droid (August 27, 2020)

It's been about five months since my previous blogpost regarding progress on my Hailfire Droid. Back then I wrote that I would probably not do another one of these before the actual model is finished - although my stance on that has changed after seeing how much it has evolved in the past couple of months.

In addition, I think it is also interesting to just discuss the recent improvements, especially considering it's been a year since I've "officially" confirmed in a blogpost to do a complete redesign on the project.

The Hailfire Droid is currently about 70% done, I think. I should be able to finish it before the end of the year, but I have to admit that I've lost a considerable amount of time working on that Xenoblade Definitive Edition article, which is not close to done any time soon. Somewhere it's been far more work than I initially anticipated, but I find the quality of the upcoming article to be of utmost importance. In worst case, the Hailfire Droid is going to be very close to done by the end of this year. 

No big deal, in my opinion.

One of the first things you might notice, is that the model feels to have more density to it. This is because the overall proportions of the model is different from last time; the length between the head and the wheels are shorter, the main body sits one Technic module lower. The head is also smaller.

Getting the proportions right isn't easy in particular. Because the scale of my Hailfire Droid is "small", it's difficult to find the right balance in structural integrity and looking undeniably like the "real" thing. In example, the battery box has always been a pain to work with because it's so damn large. The battery box defines the size of the head, thus I can't make the head smaller than this with its current scale. To make things worse, the head also contains a motor and a light brick for the main eye. All of that needs to be wired, and all of those wires need to go somewhere.

So, while my model isn't by any means "perfect", I'm still trying to get it as good as I possibly can. It's never going to reach that "diecast Hailfire Droid" status, but I'm fine with that. In the end, the most important question I need to ask myself each time is whenever if it's good enough to land the LEGO® Product Designer job.

In terms of details, one of my favorite additions to the model are the "bows" that bridges across the frame that holds the wheels. The "real" thing has a gentle curve to it that limits your options in how to build it with LEGO® pieces. Going with what I used here was the closest to getting that shape right. It also comes with a nice, smooth surface.

Another thing that I like about what I've managed to pull off are the rocket barrels. It's specifically about the proportions (i.e. half Technic module jumping) and what parts I had to use to get it done. Although unfortunately because of how it's built, there's this one rudimentary bit that sticks out, and there's no way to get rid of it. I'm on the fence to whenever leave it as it is, or to "cheat" and make the Hailfire Droid have two pairs of sixteen rockets instead of fifteen. I'd really prefer to stick with the correct number of barrels, though.

There are also a couple of new (slope/wedge) pieces available in Reddish Brown, that came with the Summer 2020 sets, which I immediately used to my advantage.

But what is probably the most fancy addition to the model is the change to the "grill" on the front. If you know your parts, you should be aware that the gear racks do not officially come in any shade of brown. However, they have been produced as Q Parts, which basically means they have been produced in the past by LEGO® for whatever purpose (i.e. LEGOLAND park models or quality inspection), and in time appeared in the aftermarket. These are legit, and based on the information found on the underside of the pieces, they are indeed quite old [note].

Keeping the gear racks in gray would've made the lower half of the head too monotonous.

Anyway, no GIF of it driving around today - that has a reason.

I've managed to greatly improve the gearbox and reduce friction between the threads and drivetrain, and that results in the Hailfire Droid driving almost twice as fast. Although this does cause a bit of an issue with the threads disconnecting when driving backwards with any of the two wheels. Not really the most ideal thing to have, since that'll happen way too often. It basically happens because there's too much clearance between the drivetrain and the threads.

It's something I am planning to fix sooner or later. Usually that does require me at least a week (and a headache) in order to get it fixed, though. Lots of trial and error, with a bit of fine-tuning.

So, is there anything else to say before I wrap things up? Aside from the Definitive Edition article demanding most of my time for the past three months, I've definitely been improving with learning how to do Bricklink orders properly. It's becoming a healthy habit, and it has certainly aided in getting this model as good as it gets. I'm sure that when I'm done with the Xenoblade article, I can spend those unassigned hours in finishing the Hailfire Droid. There's still work left to do, but I've never been this close to completion. I'm very much looking forward to the finished model.

Anyway, that's it for today - I'll see you guys again next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment