August 30, 2013

[Lego] Spaceship doodle

 
Hi guys! Yesterday I've made a quick Spaceship doodle in my free time. It has been years since my last serious custom spaceship (I think my last one was back when I was a child). The spaceship has been designed within 6 hours, not only to be a display model, but following certain mindsets for a Lego® Product Designer.

Sturdiness was one of my first points to work on, this design was intended to have a children play with the ship. I've worked on several weakpoints in this design (such as the connections between the main body and the two wings, and the cockpit) to be sure this model will less likely to break. I'll be honest, my Hailfire Droid and Afterlord projects are quite fragile, so I tried my best to make sure this spaceship is sturdy. You can hold this ship on the back or hold the wings without any issues~

Many Lego® designers and fans create great spaceships, however it's usual to create a display model without any real functions. Don't worry, there's nothing wrong with that, creating functionality may remove intended shaping or sturdiness. Though, I'd love to have more functions than only a display model. As for many similar or larger sized Lego® sets, there's always a gimmick or function to enhance the play features of that set. The same applies for this spaceship.


This spaceship has a lasergun which can be flicked forward and backward (as seen above). It uses a simple mechanism, similar to my Hailfire Droid, but instead of electronics I used rubber bands. With the rubber bands, the lasergun will flick, but also stay on its place. The gun won't fold out or back unless you push the lever. I did not use any official Lego® rubber bands (those are pretty amazing, they are very durable, I still can use ones which are almost 20 years old without any issues), since the ones I have on stock were either too small or too large.


On the top of the spaceship, the geometry is interrupted to show that there's actually something going on. There's a small technic piece which you can pull back, and it'll light up the jet engine. That small feature makes the spaceship more realistic, and adds more playing features while holding the spaceship in your hands.

I've tried my best to give more details in the spaceship, as for (an overusing of) grills and exhausts. I've even used doors with a printed fire icon (from old Lego® Town Firefighter sets), placed on the sides of the ship, to emphasize the spaceship has multiple exhausts (and for safety for Lego® minifigures).

Please do tell if you like the design, I'd like to receive feedback. Until next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment