June 29, 2015

[Lego] Work in Progress: STAR WARS™ Hailfire Droid - Take 5

Return back to Project Overview.


Yes, I know that it has been almost 9 months since my last Hailfire Droid update, dammit! Believe me, I don't like to see the update posts for my MK projects being frozen for months either. I haven't been able to work on the Hailfire and Constructor shaping that much lately. This is mainly because I lack several pieces and I still need a few months before I start ordering again, so bear with me. But I can tell you that other important properties like consistency have been improving.

You might not see it from the outside, but the balancing of driving has been improved several times as well. Don't worry if you can't see it, that was actually done on purpose. Eventually you won't see the inside of the Hailfire Droid anymore when it's finished. The first few adjustments compared to the previous update was needed, especially in preparation for the LEGO® Inside Tour.


In example, you won't see all the structures and battery box on the back when it would be all covered up. As you might have noticed on the front, several holes in the wheel chassis have been covered up already. They are not entirely finished and slightly fragile, but that's because there's still some specialized parts and colours that I need to order before it would be ready. The design standard of the cover is finished on paper, it's just a matter of ordering to copy the build several more times.


Another thing that I've adjusted recently was the sides of the wheel chassis itself. I finally found a proper way to build on the sides of the model, so I start building some structural parts that I will use as a starting point for the covers. I've also adjusted some ways how I've kept the chassis clutched together, despite it was already physically impossible to tear it open with my hands without breaking any pieces, it still had a few parts (especially in the middle) in the build that might get loose from long-term driving. A handful of gears have also been swapped, consider LEGO® has released plenty of different types of gears over time, including redesigning their latest ones. Despite the Hailfire Droid wheels using the more (older) sharp-edged gears, driving it by the redesigned gears with round edges actually does improve the driving behavior compared to using the sharp-edged ones instead.

Phew, that's it for this post at least. The Work In Progress update for the Constructor will appear soon enough, so keep an eye on it if you are interested! Until next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment