January 21, 2017

[YT] What the heck am I doing


Just to get a 30 seconds recording of the GameCube version of Animal Crossing for an upcoming random (totally-not-a-filler) video, I had to bring out my good ol' CRT Television (the TV on the right) from the dusty haystack that is my attic. This isn't really an important blogpost, I just find it amusing to look at because it's so damn ridiculous for some incredibly short and simple recording so I wanted to share it with you all.

In case you can't follow what is happening on the image (a rather complex story simplified):

If you would run an American version of a game on an European console, your television shows the game on screen all fine. A television is just a method to display images from your console. Your console does the converting automatically. However, most capture devices that are directly connected to your console cannot record or display in a scenario like this because the capture device wants to pick up the encoding for an European console, but the game runs on an American encoding.
 
So in order to "make this work", I have directly plugged in my console to my old CRT Television, which has the (nowadays considered) rare ability to have a "TV in" and "TV out". This means that I can literally record whatever shows up on the screen (whenever it's something like your local news, or some DVD/VHS player or a console that is connected).
 
So the "TV in" is the input where my console is connected, which may vary between European, American and Japanese encoding. However, the "TV out" never changes and remains the same encoding, so this allows me to record games that have this "messed up" encoding which I shouldn't be able otherwise. The "TV out" goes in my capture devices. The newer TV in the back is just to verify if the image is being captured correctly.

When will this filler video be released? Probably around the end of January. I'm tired now, you'd be surprised how heavy that CRT Television actually is... aaaand it's way past 3 AM anyway so I better go to sleep.

That's it for now - I'll see you guys again next post!

P.S. #BringBackCRT

No comments:

Post a Comment