June 12, 2016

[Lego] Black light - #8935 Nocturn (Take 2)



Hi guys! After playing with different features of my camera I use for my blog, I found a way to capture images in locations where light is less apparent. Since I kind of thought the original Nocturn blogpost didn't give the justice it deserves, I decided to give it another try.

What wasn't as clear in the previous blogpost is how green/turquoise the glow in the dark pieces become when they are charged up. An interesting thing about the previous blogpost is that Nocturn became blue at first after I opened a sealed box - the green/turquoise change of hue actually appeared after a certain amount of time (probably because of maturing of the pieces). This is why the GIF and the main image made Nocturn's body glow a bit more blue than green instead.

I love the way how they moulded a blend of glow in the dark together with transparent light blue, the latter which is a colour that isn't affected by black light. You can clearly see that each blended piece has a few spots that does and not glow, and with some clever engineering behind various structural walls and piece thickness it does define an irregular flow, giving it a more lively effect. Especially the latter is something I am very fond of.


With this camera "macro", I'm also able to capture how Nocturn looks without black light and let the glow in the dark part do its job. Having no light to make his eyes present kind of makes Nocturn feel "hollow" and a tad undead.
After all, the blurb for the Barraki line back in 2007 was "Creeps from the deep".

It is worth to mention that the glow in the dark spines on his back do grow brightly if it is exposed to plenty of (sun)light. So if Nocturn is placed on a shelf (permanently) those spines should glow too. It only glows faintly on the picture because these spines need to be charged thorough; the blend between transparent light blue and glow in the dark for these pieces are low on glow in the dark.

That's it for today - I'll see you guys again next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment