June 19, 2016

[Lego] Black light - #76054 Batman: Scarecrow Harvest of Fear



Hi guys! Back with another quick "Black light" blogpost. Today's set is #76054 Batman: Scarecrow Harvest of Fear.

The Scarecrow is a character that we've seen in three different LEGO® minifigures to date. He has been in four different sets; two sets where he plays the role of an inmate of both the original and redesigned Arkham Asylum.

In his first appearance in a LEGO® set, he flew a biplane to drop fear gas canisters in what appears to be Gotham City. Something that I do like is that The LEGO® Company often designs fictional vehicles for characters that usually do not have these in their source material. And Scarecrow is one of those villains to drive around in things that feels appropriate to the character.

Regardless if he has a certificate to fly around in a biplane is another story, but I do love the new idea of him driving around in a harvester. To be honest, he's a criminal, so he doesn't really need to have a pilot's certificate now does he?

Having another Scarecrow vehicle is also a good excuse to use a lot of trans-neon-green, and I like the thought of using that Alpha Team sawblade as a gear to rotate the cutter on the front. However, if I have to be honest, it does lack in execution, especially if you want to drive backwards.

Interestingly enough, this set has one particular coincidence with the first Scarecrow set: the Batcopter. This isn't the second time we've seen a Batcopter either. Every Batman vehicle from Batman I has officially been redesigned at least once for Batman II. The Batcopter was first seen against Scarecrow, a team-up with Nightwing against Man-Bat, in the Classic TV Series Batcave and yet against Scarecrow once again. I do think that the esthetics and build of this Batcopter is the best out of the four - however, as a toy, it has the least play features.

Vehicles aside, one thing that most readers might notice from the picture is the glowing legs of Killer Moth. While the wings are made out of transparent neon orange and thus are intended to glow, the legs are made out of a solid colour of plastic and yet still seems to glow. This is probably because of the manufacturing of these pieces outside of Billund - some pieces for minifigures and certain creatures like dinosaurs require a complex printing which is done elsewhere. While those pieces are made of solid plastic, taking my black light to my minifigure display shows something interesting.



If you look closely to the image on the right, certain pieces are not transparent and glows on a similar fashion to Killer Moth's legs. I won't join the discussion about whenever that is a "good thing" or not, because we all know that I'm biased towards the company due to my Legocentric life - but I genuinely don't care about it and it doesn't really bother me too much.

As long as the figures have some excellent design, crisp prints and quality behind it like they have been for decades, I'll remain a happy potato. I won't complain to have some obscure characters finally memorized in this plastic medium. You do realize how expensive these things are to manufacture and to develop, right?

That's it for today! I'm not sure when I'll be going to cover Umarak The Destroyer, but I know one thing - it is on my list to write about it. I'll see you guys again next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment