January 01, 2014

[Lego] Work in Progress: STAR WARS™ Hailfire Droid - Take 3

Return back to Project Overview.

As promised, here's an overview for the current progress with my custom Hailfire Droid.

First of all, the Hailfire Droid is now balanced! It can drive and stand on its own without any support. I've achieved this by using several different weight bricks. It was some trial-and-error, but I managed to pull this off. The back of the head isn't finished yet, so the balance has to be adjusted later on.

A close-up of the head.
I have edited a major part of its head. Currently there's a more decent shape. There's still some improvement left though, but that'll come later. I've placed some reinforcements, especially on the front opening near his eyes. Some black parts seen in the body will be replaced with brown/reddish brown parts.

The rocket barrels are somewhat finished, they are very similar to the one used in the original Hailfoire Droid set. I might replace the red rocket tips with purple ones, to match the real colour in the movies.

The folding system of the laser gun.
Note the right picture when the large
gray gun is pulled forward.
As my older update video, the laser gun really works and it's well integrated in the Hailfire. As you can see on the picture, the laser gun flicks forward and backward slowly by a motor when pushing on the red stick on the RC controller. I've used a specific technique with rubber bands that I've used various times before to avoid the motor to spin too far and break by torque.

The Hailfire Droid now has a rechargeable battery, this makes the usage of it a lot more convenient.
So, for now that's the overview! I'll admit that the Hailfire Droid will progress a lot slower than my Constructor, but heck, it is a real fun thing to play with.











Whoooooosh! Until next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment