July 18, 2012

[Lego] Interruption while building the 8485 T-Rex


OK. Expect a rant post here. A few days ago, as you can see on the photo, I was building my 8485 third model, the Tyrannosaurus Rex. I was already building my T-Rex for about four hours, saw the finish line coming closely. But...

I was so happy building the T-Rex, but as far I my knowledge goes, there is one thing you should be very careful with at old Technic sets, and that are Technic Flexcables.

I've read a lot of stories that Flexcables broke while keeping them. I guess some older Lego® veterans could remember the old Lego® Castle helmets from the classic Legoland brand (like the Yellow Castle) which were so fragile that Lego decided to stop producing them. You know, same for these Flexcables, Lego® quit making them around the millennium, because they also were so fragile.

When I received the set from my order, I was immediately checking out the Flexcables, and thank goodness, they were all in perfect form. Y'know, these cables are about 17 years old by now so, being careful is a good thing to do. So, very, very careful I was assembling the set, enjoying the T-Rex being build up every step more and more.

It was about evening and I was at the point you see the T-Rex on the photo. I was almost done with the head, and suddenly one of my roommates came in to ask if I would come for dinner and I lost my concentration... suddenly I heard a snap. I immediately checked out what was broken, I panicked because my mind was thinking of a Lego® Flexcable. I was checking the head, I was happy that the smaller Flexcables didn't broke. Suddenly, I saw what really broke. The longest Flexcable, broke in three pieces. I began to be really mad, but I didn't blame my roommate. It wasn't his fault, it was that of mine so.

I was getting sad about that piece, since I do not have any Flexcables in my supply, and if I did, I would have multiple 8485 because the Flexcable I broke only exists in this set, dammit. Did you know the Flexcable that I broke is worth 10 to 15 dollars? Oh well, hobbying is expensive. So, as I normally do, when a Lego piece breaks, I go to the Lego® website and fill in the Replacement Parts form of the Customer Service. Guys, if you have broken Lego pieces, I recommend you to fill in that aforementioned link, it is worth it. Actually I'm suprised that a lot of Lego® fans do not know that you can get a replacement. But hey, it has some logic... you only know it if you read their website.

So, I fill in the form, described the Flexcable since it is not in the application (for some obvious reasons I mentioned before in this post) and I received a mail from the Lego® customer service. They replied me with the question to give me the precise ID of the part from a Bricklink (one of the largest Lego® online webmarket for Lego® fans) inventory. So, I've replied them. I still have to receive a reply for this but I have a good mood for this. I guess I get one this evening.

Oh well, don't worry. I assume this is going well and I don't mind to paying or send my old Flexcable to Lego®. Better getting a new one than buying a new one for 10 bucks and have a chance that it is very bad. Plus, in my opinion this is just normal. I broke several parts, even a battery box for one of my RC cars (the RC car is actually on the top photo! It's the large green mean offroading machine) and it all got replaced. But ye I guess I'm that easy with this is because I love Lego®, it's my first priority hobby (as mentioned on my Steam profile) and you guys may have read that I'm going to work for Lego® later on. Well, that's a childhood dream, and you know that I'm going to let that dream come true. So, waiting for that new cable that is, but for now:


No comments:

Post a Comment